The research group of the analytical center is a team of professionals at the forefront of their disciplines, highly experienced in the analysis of pharmaceutical, biological, and environmental systems. R&D at the center is conducted using state-of-the-art technologies and assisted by active collaboration with various research groups at IIBR in the fields of organic and medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, biology and environmental sciences.
The center is active in several areas of R&D, and offers comprehensive analytical solutions. Methods are developed for a complete analytical process, including sampling, sample preparation, measurement and data processing.
The center develops improved methods for sampling and analysis of environmental matrices such as air, water, soil as well as physiological media. Methodological R&D is aimed to achieve sensitive detection and identification of trace amounts of targeted and "unknown" pollutants and markers ranging from volatile organics through non-volatile and thermolabile compounds. The center has developed unique capabilities for detection and identification of materials relevant to the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC), potential chemical terror agents and explosives (both industrial and improvised).
The center's R&D activity also encompasses development of methodologies for detection, identification and quantitation of therapeutic drugs and of their metabolites in physiological media.
Biological Mass Spectrometry
Methodologies for characterization of whole bacterial cells, proteins, peptides, and exogenous materials in physiological media are developed at the center.
- Gas chromatography (GC) with a wide range of specific detectors (NPD, FPD, ECD, FID, PFPD)
- Gas chromatography mass spectrometry (GC/MS) using EI, CI or NICI ionization techniques coupled on line with specific detectors such as FPD, PFPD and NPD
- Thermal desorption coupled on line with GC/MS and specific detectors
- Tandem mass spectrometry (GC/MS/MS) for high specificity and structure elucidation
- High resolution LC-QTOF-MS for accurate mass measurement.
- High performance liquid chromatography – quadropole mass spectrometry (LC/MS/MS) utilizing electrospray (ESI) or atmospheric pressure chemical ionization (APCI) techniques, coupled on line with a diode array UV detector.
- Matrix assisted laser desorption time of flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF-MS)
- Multi-purpose sampler (MPS) coupled with GC and GC/MS for headspace and gas injections.
- Solid phase micro extraction (SPME)
- ICP-AE elemental analysis